I am an intellectual property (IP) and consumer law specialist and co-lead the firm’s national IP group.
A key part of my practice is helping clients make commercially sensible decisions around IP protection and in IP disputes.
In addition to my IP practice I act for clients in privacy compliance matters, particularly in relation to the use of third party data and outsourcing, and assist clients in ‘brand to market’ advertising matters and packaging claims.
My IP work has a brand bias, and I act for both local and international brand owners in clearing, protecting, enforcing and commercialising their brands in New Zealand and elsewhere. Clients I am fortunate to work with include the BBC, Sportsdirect.com, Trade Me and PGG Wrightson.
Recent work includes:
- Acting for a New Zealand software company in protecting its brand internationally.
- Acting for the opponent in oppositions against trade mark applications filed by NZMe.
- Acting for the plaintiff in High Court proceedings settled in our client’s favour by way of sealed orders.
- Advising a leading food exporter on its digital and TV campaigns.
- Advising a leading data company on the public register provisions of the Privacy Act.
I am a member of the following:
- New Zealand law society
- New South Wales law society
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
- International Trade Mark Association (INTA) Asia Pacific Trade Mark Office Practice Committee
- New Zealand Intellectual Property Office trade mark practice committee
- New Zealand Intellectual Property Office hearings office practice committee
- Duke of Edinburgh’s Hillary Award – board member.
I was nominated as an IP Star for 2017 in the areas of trade mark strategy and counselling.