Best support for your career
If you want an enterprising legal career, where you work with great clients in a connected, New Zealand wide team, speak to us today.
Duncan Cotterill takes the time to really understand your interests and offer the best support for your career. We welcome your fresh ideas, celebrate in your successes and strive to provide you with an environment focused on learning, development and sustainability.
Who we are
and what we stand for
Everything that we do is built upon Duncan Cotterill’s values. Our values are unique to our firm and our people – they are why our team members appreciate working for the firm and why our clients enjoy working alongside us. These values tell a story of who we are, what we stand for, while underpinning what is important to us, and what is key to our long standing success.
Values we work by
Training and development
We’re committed to providing a variety of education and training opportunities with topics relevant to all Duncan Cotterill team members.
Our people are encouraged to attend a range of training sessions which are relevant to their work and career development. For rotating summer clerks and graduates, you are supported to attend all internal training opportunities giving you exposure to a wide range of topics.
With a firm focus on development and so many opportunities for training you’ll never go short of CPD hours to meet the NZLS requirements!
Diversity, sustainability and wellbeing
Wellbeing at Duncan Cotterill
The firm encourages a balanced lifestyle and appreciates that we all have lives outside of work. We support a healthy work environment with many avenues for support if needed such as:
- Our Employee Assistance Programme (“EAP”).
- A buddy within your team.
- Workstation set up checks with an occupational therapist.
- National Wellbeing Champions.
- Plenty of social interaction opportunities – morning teas, Christmas functions, celebrating days of cultural significance and many more!
- Check ins with our People & Culture team throughout your time with us, and at the end of rotations.
Living wage Living Wage Movement Aotearoa New Zealand
The firm is proud to be an accredited living wage member since 2022. He tāngata is one of the firms values and we value not just our employees but also those who are contracted to us (such as cleaners) in ensuring that all are paid above the Living Wage. Obtaining the Living Wage accreditation reflects our ongoing commitment to that.
Duncan Cotterill is committed to improving the retention and advancement of woman lawyers and as such are a signatory to the NZLS Gender Equality Charter.
We are also part of the Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs) community.
Duncan Cotterill is committed to our role in the community: as a business, employer and to our people and clients. You can read about our focus and how it is integral part of our ‘Making a Difference’ vision.
We recently launched our refreshed parental leave policy which includes:
- Providing up to 26 weeks of paid parental leave top ups allowing the primary carer to receive full pay for this period.
- Up to four weeks paid partners leave.
- A self-selected care package upon taking, and returning from parental leave (this might include a supply of nappies, a cleaner or meals).
- KiwiSaver employment contributions while receiving the Duncan Cotterill parental leave top ups.
- Annual leave to be paid at its full value upon returning from parental leave.
- Flexible working opportunities.
- Budget relief upon returning from parental leave for our fee earning roles.
Further details about our policy can be found on NZ parental leave register, Crayon.
Benefits we offer
As part of the Duncan Cotterill team, you’ll have access to our latest technology, sustainable initiatives and a generous range of benefits including:
- Enhanced parental leave benefits.
- Graduate & solicitor training & development.
- Health & wellbeing programme.
- Discounted legal advice.
- Discounted health insurance.
- Birthday, marriage, parental, long service & study leave.
- Competitive salaries.
- Sustainable working practice.
- Recognition Ribbon awards.
- Employee Assistance Programme.
- Flexible working options.
- Subsidised social club.
- Corporate wardrobe clothing allowance for graduates.
- Professional Legal Studies allowance for incoming graduates completing profs prior to joining.