With the evolution of new technology platforms happening at unprecedented levels, the parameters around the collection, storage and disclosure of personal information of individuals and employees has increased at an exponential rate. Personal data is more valuable than most of us realise, making data protection and privacy compliance a mandatory requirement for businesses of any size.
Our privacy team brings together lawyers with specialities in technology, employment, litigation, commercial, public and intellectual property across a range of sectors, who can swiftly assess the risks and opportunities.
Our team has considerable exposure to New Zealand’s privacy legislation including the Privacy Act 2020. We also advise clients on the European Union’s GDPR, which came into force in 2018. Elements of the GDPR are prevalent in New Zealand’s privacy law reform and our team are across all these developments, and the impact they will have on our clients.
We regularly advise on:
- Inquiries and investigations into breaches of the Privacy Act.
- Data protection breaches.
- Privacy impact assessments – for a full range of purposes, from business-as-usual systems through to complex, bespoke, mission-critical services
- Privacy aspects of mergers and acquisitions, IPOs and other commercial transactions.
- Drafting privacy policies and statements.
- Training – risk management, privacy and information.
- The inter-relationship between New Zealand and overseas privacy requirements particularly European requirements and GDPR.
- Compliance with anti-spam legislation.
- Official information / local Government Official Information requests and responses.