With a growing number of high-profile cyber incidents, the reality is that all organisations, large and small, are potential targets for malicious actors and cyber threats.
Our cyber experts have specialist experience across the multiple aspects of the cyber landscape. We can work with you to address compliance risks, navigate cyber incident response, advise on data protection and privacy issues, and assist with cyber insurance matters.
Our cyber expertise includes:
- Cyber planning and advisory services.
- Incident response and cyber breach support.
- Cyber insurance coverage advice.
- Liability and recovery representation.
- Training and policies to protect you and your staff.
With the rise of cyber incidents, we help organisations prepare to mitigate cyber threats to be best placed should the threats eventuate. When cyber incidents occur, we assist with incident response and help organisations manage the impacts, comply with legal requirements arising from incidents (including privacy notifications), and help resolve liability matters:
- Cyber planning and advisory services: we help assess cybersecurity risks, develop plans to mitigate them, and implement those plans. This includes compliance with relevant legislative requirements, drafting and reviewing privacy policies and data breach response plans, cyber and privacy training, and facilitating incident response training exercises.
- Incident response and cyber breach support: when cyber incidents occur, we help with all legal aspects of the incident response, including analysis of data affected, advising on and assisting with notifications required under privacy law, responding to enquiries from privacy regulators (including the New Zealand Office of the Privacy Commissioner), and working alongside other members of the incident response team, including forensic IT consultants and public relations specialists.
- Cyber insurance coverage advice: we help identify appropriate cybersecurity insurance, which can help cover the costs of a cyber incident, such as the cost of restoring data, the cost of notifying affected individuals, and the cost of legal fees. We also assist with policy wording and cyber insurance training.
- Liability and recovery representation: following a cyber incident, we help investigate the incident and working towards recovering for damages, including acting for insured parties in their insurance claims, and for insurers in recovery actions arising out of cyber incidents.
We have a large insurance team who have the technical expertise to advise on the coverage and liability issues required on these matters. We also have expertise on policy drafting, proposal criteria, assisting insurers and insureds to navigate breach incident and crisis response, recovery options and acting in litigation arising from a breach.
Our team also provides specialist technology legal advice on cyber-related matters, such as reviewing, drafting, and negotiating contracts with vendors and customers, documenting privacy and security guidelines, and helping assess cybersecurity risks. We can help you protect your data and your reputation and help manage and minimise risk.
Click here to read our latest cyber publication, Zero Hacks: Cybersecurity trends, challenges and solutions, which provides useful information to help protect your business from cyber attacks. We cover who hackers are targeting, data security from a legal and insurance perspective and provide a run down on ransom negotiations.