I am an insurance litigator who specialises in defending professionals and company directors. I also advise liability insurers on policy coverage.
Advising on both defence and coverage work, my practice largely comprises defending negligence claims against legal professionals pursuant to Professional Indemnity insurance policies. I also defend claims against company officers and directors, and provide PI and D&O coverage advice. I bring first hand experience of the insurance sector, having worked at a leading UK insurance firm for nearly five years.
In 2020, I completed a secondment at global insurer AIG. My caseload comprised both UK and international claims against a variety of professions, including solicitors, company directors and officers, FI (financial institutions) professionals, pension trustees & administrators and construction professionals. I primarily dealt with claims in a coverage context, from which I gained valuable experience in interpreting policy terms and conditions and determining policy coverage. This, put with my understanding of the risks posed to insurers and how they operate, means I can provide comprehensive and pragmatic advice to insurers and their insureds to minimise any potentially adverse impacts on their business and preserve important relationships.
Prior to qualification, I gained a broad range of experience spanning a variety of underlying practice areas, including residential and commercial property, licensing (alcohol and gambling), construction litigation and commercial disputes.
Recent examples of work include:
- Managing a block notification of buyer-funded development claims against three insured firms of licensed conveyancers, with one mutual insurer. Of the c. 600 notifications made, around 450 developed into professional negligence claims.
- Successfully defending a professional negligence claim against a firm of solicitors by obtaining an order for strike out on the first day of trial.
- Providing coverage advice to insurers in respect of a claim for c. £40m against 4 potential insureds, pursuant to concurrent PI and D&O policies.
- Successfully defending a £250,000 contribution claim against a firm of solicitors which led to the claimant abandoning the claim.
- Advising PI (and, separately, D&O) insurers on policy coverage in the context of alleged dishonesty on the part of an insured firm of solicitors.