I am a specialist franchising, distribution and licensing lawyer with a particular focus on retail, intellectual property, network growth and international expansion. I have experience working in-house (as the general counsel of SumoSalad), in private practice in New Zealand and in a global law firm in Sydney.
I have grown up in retail and my wide-ranging experience in this sector allows me to provide insightful advice to clients on the latest industry and market concepts. I am excited about the changing face of retail and the opportunities these present to my clients. I have sound knowledge of the Australian retail and franchising sectors and assist New Zealand businesses to succeed when they ‘cross the ditch’.
I adopt a strategic approach when working with business teams to develop commercial solutions that address legal issues. I also understand risk profiles in this sector and am well-connected across Australia and New Zealand, plus the wider Asia-Pacific region.
My experience includes:
- Application of competition laws to product distribution, pricing and supply issues faced by suppliers, manufacturers, licensors and franchisors and providing legal and strategic advice for businesses seeking to leverage their brands and expand internationally.
- Assisting clients expanding into new and emerging markets in the Asia-Pacific region, including India, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Japan and Vietnam.
- Advice in connection with the proposed franchise of various concepts, including juice bar, gyms, educational tutoring, pie cart, pancake house, salad bar, cooking school, estate agency, mortgage broker, office services and financial and investment services.
- Offering strategic advice in connection with retail and service based businesses, including, quick service restaurants, real estate agencies, mortgage brokers, clothing alterations and fashion, medical and wellbeing services.
- Negotiating and advising on a wide range of business-to-business and business-to-consumer contracts (including brand partnerships, distribution, franchising/licensing, joint ventures and agency arrangements).