I specialise in corporate and commercial law and act for clients in a broad range of industries, with a particular focus on overseas investment, structuring, acquisitions and corporate finance.
My experience in advising on the Overseas Investment Act consent process means that along with a comprehensive knowledge of the Overseas Investment Act and Regulations, I understand the practicalities associated with the application process (including applications for variations and exemptions) and the key issues that clients face.
My expertise also includes business start-ups, acquisitions and disposals, corporate structuring, employee share schemes, joint venture arrangements, service arrangements, and franchising and licensing. I have significant experience in negotiating and drafting an extensive range of commercial contracts.
I have an interest in governance and am a member of the Institute of Directors and have completed the Institute of Directors’ Governance Development Programme. As well as advising companies on governance and corporate structure, I act for a number of incorporated societies and charities, providing advice on Charities Act registration and governance issues.
My recent work includes:
- Advising Craigmore Sustainables in relation to Overseas Investment Office applications and other commercial matters. Craigmore Sustainables manages more than $200m of investor capital invested across farm land, horticulture investments and forestry blocks within New Zealand.
- Advising the New Zealand Redwood Company in relation to obtaining Overseas Investment Office approval for the purchase of land for forestry purposes.
- Advising an overseas company on the proposed takeover of a meat processing business and the associated Overseas Investment Office application.
- Acting for financial institutions and private lenders on loan and security documentation, including loans associated with rural investment and property development.
- Advising a number of clients on the structuring and regulatory compliance for proposed share schemes for employees.
- Submitting to Treasury and Select Committees on proposed changes to the Overseas Investment legislation and regulations.