I have a broad commercial practice and enjoy the diverse range of clients I work with across different market sectors.
- Franchising - I have a particular speciality in franchising, with 20+ years’ experience in this dynamic and exciting industry. I lead our national franchise practice and work with franchise clients all over New Zealand and overseas. I am active in both the Wellington and national franchise scenes, and heavily involved with the Franchise Association of New Zealand.
- Corporate and commercial - My commercial work includes acquisitions and sales, structuring, financing, shareholder agreements, joint ventures, governance, compliance and contracts. I work with start ups and mature businesses of all sizes.
- Property and private client - I also have a busy property and private client practice. This involves commercial and residential property, family trusts, asset protection and estate planning.
I have developed a broad skillset from my time working as a law firm partner, sole practitioner and in house lawyer. I work collaboratively with other specialists at Duncan Cotterill to provide a cohesive service to clients that meets all their legal needs.
Recent examples of my work include:
- Assisting a new franchise system from conception through to launch, and with their ongoing requirements
- Assisting a franchisor with the restructure of their franchise system, preparing a new document suite and implementing the resulting changes
- Acting for a large group of franchisees in relation to issues with their franchisor and international franchisor and their extraction from that franchise system
- Assisting a large international business with the purchase of an interest in an expanding local business
- Assisting a number of clients with the acquisition of managed accommodation businesses, and ongoing assistance with managing their commercial lease portfolios
- Acting for the developer of a 40+ lot multistage subdivision
- Education pieces on the new Trusts Act 2019, and advising a large number of clients on compliance and resulting changes to their trust and personal affairs
I am a member of the Franchise Association of New Zealand and the Property Law Section of the New Zealand Law Society. I also sit on the Franchise Association’s complaints panel.