The health sector plays a significant role in the New Zealand economy and impacts on every New Zealander. In the current environment, specialist expertise and an in-depth understanding of the issues facing the health sector and health professionals is essential.
We assist health service providers and health professionals to navigate complex and challenging regulatory environments, statutory frameworks and ethical obligations. We have an up to date knowledge of relevant case law, legislation, codes and topical issues.
We have experience in dealing with a broad range of health sector clients spread across the country which helps us tackle medico-legal issues in context and to achieve the best possible outcome for our clients.
Our national, multidisciplinary team has in depth health sector knowledge and expertise. We are an All of Government (AOG) panellist, and have acted for individual health practitioners, health service providers including DHBs, PHOs, private medical centres, medical technology companies, hospitals, retirement villages, not-for-profits, and also acted for consumers of health services.
We have an extensive professional liability practice in the health sector and regularly act for pharmacists, physiotherapists, psychologists, psychotherapists, optometrists, occupational therapists, osteopaths, acupuncturists, dentists, dental hygienists, nurses, midwives and doctors, as well as allied health professionals including social workers, both directly and through insurers.
We regularly advise on:
- Contentious and non-contentious health law issues,
- Health and Disability Commissioner inquiries and reviews,
- Complaints before health practitioner responsible authorities,
- Coronial inquests (acting for health professionals, health service providers and families),
- Professional disciplinary proceedings against health practitioners including the Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal,
- District Inspector of Mental Health inquiries,
- Independent inquiries, including Commissions of Inquiry,
- Sector service reviews,
- Clinical health and safety issues,
- Ombudsmen reviews,
- Duty of care, capacity, and consent to (and withdrawal of) treatment,
- Privacy Act issues relevant to both providers and individuals,
- Risk management advice,
- Administrative law advice,
- Advance care planning,
- End of life issues, and
- Disability and mental capacity issues including seeking and responding to orders under the Protection of Personal Property and Rights Act 1988.
As a full service law firm we have specialists that can advise on:
- Health and safety, including clinical and service delivery health and safety issues,
- Property and corporate and commercial (e.g. establishing, operating, acquisition and disposal of healthcare service providers and healthcare practices, including contracts, governance and joint ventures),
- Competition issues,
- Privacy and data protection, and
Our team frequently deliver practical training and scenario-based seminars to health practitioners, professional bodies and health service provider clients on a range of relevant legal issues.