I am a member of our corporate and commercial team based in Christchurch. I focus on commercial and agribusiness issues. I act for banks, insolvency practitioners, land owners and tenants. I have a number of clients who I advise on the ground in Christchurch and nationally on the sale and purchase of properties and also commercial leasing issues.
My agribusiness work crosses over with many aspects of commercial work and involves farm sales and disposals, subdivisions and commercial irrigation matters as well as farm succession and structuring issues. This includes acting for farmers, irrigation companies, and forestry companies and involves applications to the Overseas Investment Office.
I also advise on a range of corporate and commercial matters and act for clients on insolvency and debt recovery.
My expertise includes:
- Advising on sales, purchases and management of farms, including family arrangements, succession planning, trusts, leases and commercial contracts.
- Advising US-based forestry companies on all aspects of business, including applications to the Overseas Investment Office.
- Acting for companies and commercial enterprises on business contracts, structuring and general commercial advice, including advice on the Personal Property Securities Act.
- Acting for one of New Zealand’s major banks on refinancing and business acquisition deals where the threshold is above the bank’s in-house limits, including leading a deal in trans-Tasman financing.
- Advising other lenders and investors on transactions and providing advice on obligations of lenders (consumer and non-consumer), including obtaining appropriate security.
- Acting for receivers and liquidators on sales of assets and providing advice on competing creditors as well as provision of advice on a number of commercial debt recovery matters (often in conjunction with specialist litigation advice).
I am a Fellow of the Financial Services Institute of Australasia (Finsia) and a member of the Institute of Directors. I also have a number of governance roles in the local community, including chair of the Christchurch Football Academy Trust.