My expertise is in commercial litigation and dispute resolution with a focus on insurance, health and safety, construction and employment. In the insurance sector I advise insurers on professional risks claims and also a broad range of fire and general claims. I continue to provide advice to insurers in relation to the Canterbury earthquakes.
In the health and safety area, I regularly defend prosecutions under health and safety legislation, principally on instructions from insurers. I have been appointed to the newly convened Auckland District Law Society Health and Safety Law Committee.
I undertake employment work for employers, both on instructions through insurers and otherwise. I have experience in employment mediation as well as defending matters in the Employment Relations Authority and the Employment Court.
Outside of the insurance sector, I act in construction disputes and have undertaken recovery work for a leading international accounting practice.
Recent work includes:
- Acting for a forestry contractor involved in a private prosecution arising from a forestry fatality.
- Acting for a transport company in relation to a fatality including advising on the WorkSafe investigations.
- Acting for a national retailer under investigation by the Commerce Commission.
- Defence of an insured employer in a personal grievance that went through the Mediation Service, the Employment Relations Authority and ultimately the Employment Court, succeeding in all jurisdictions.
- Acting for a substantial private property developer in respect of construction dispute allegations and proceedings brought in the High Court.
- Acting for insurers in a number of High Court proceedings in the Canterbury Earthquake list.
- Appearing for liquidators in the Court of Appeal in respect of a voidable transaction claim.
I am a trustee and former Chair of Western Springs College in Auckland.