I am a commercial lawyer and the current chair of the Duncan Cotterill board and partnership. I lead the firm's international practice including the firm's membership of TerraLex, one of the world's largest networks of independent law firms.
I act for a wide range of business clients including corporates in the agribusiness sector, corporate property investors and developers (commercial and rural), tertiary institutions and crown/local government entities.
I have been instrumental in a number of complex corporate restructures and various acquisitions across a range of industries. I also have a strong range of smaller business clients who always have something different “on the go”, which I enjoy being part of.
I assist company directors and business owners with asset restructuring and protection issues as well as wider business concerns including property conveyancing, contract negotiation, financing and governance.
My client work includes advising:
- A New Zealand university on a wide range of commercial contract matters including development and commercialisation joint ventures.
- Two large rural real estate companies on the successful implementation of the merger of both businesses, including industry body and statutory compliance matters arising from that merger.
- A property developer in relation to many industrial unit developments.
- Two large residential and lifestyle subdivision developers.
- One of the country’s largest rural real estate companies on a range of compliance, complaint and commercial issues that arise on a regular basis.
I also have a number of governance roles, mainly in the charitable and not-for-profit sector. These include being a trustee of the Canterbury Charity Hospital Trust, the St Andrew’s College Foundation and Chairman of the Canterbury Caledonian Society Pipe Band.