As a Partner in Duncan Cotterill’s corporate and commercial team, I have broad commercial experience in information technology, consumer, and intellectual property law, supporting clients on a range of commercial and contracting matters.
I assist public and private sector clients by helping them with technology procurement, implementing software, commercialising technology and other products, or to simply get business done. My technology law experience includes matters such as privacy and data protection, software licensing as well as the legal requirements associated with the ever-changing digital environment, including assisting clients respond to cyber events.
Clients benefit from my extensive knowledge and experience in the IT industry, and my enthusiasm for truly understanding the outcomes required to develop solutions that are a great fit.
In addition to this work, I assist clients with M&A transactions in a wide range of sectors, acting for both vendors and purchasers. I also have particular interest and experience in relation to software-as-a-service and other technology businesses.
I prioritise providing clear, pragmatic, and timely advice and enjoy the variety of clients I work with. I’m delighted to have been recognised as a NZ Lawyer "Rising Star" in 2022, and I have been listed as a recommended lawyer in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023 legal directory for technology law.
Examples of my recent experience include advising:
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment — on all legal aspects of the emergency called location information (ECLI) service, which enables emergency service providers to locate 111 callers.
- Builderscrack.co.nz — the founders of this SaaS technology business on their sale to ASX listed hipages Group.
- Various government departments — on a wide range of commercial contracts, including negotiations and engagements with New Zealand businesses, along with international and multi-national suppliers.
- Massey University — on its procurement of several new digital platforms and systems, including student management system, library management, and multi-campus network equipment.
- Cedra International — on the sale of its time-critical medical express division to Marken New Zealand Limited, a division of UPS.
- Cin7 Limited — in relation to its $100 million+ sale of business and assets to Rubicon Technology Partners.
How clients describe working together:
“Peter’s assistance is always “Top Notch”. I appreciate the advice Peter gives which stretches to mentoring me on the content and structure of our internal contract documentation. Within the greater business, including IT, there is a justified confidence, when they know Peter Fernando is involved in the review.” — A longstanding Public sector client.
"We worked with Peter Fernando and I would go as far to say it was the best experience we’ve had working with a partner. Peter provided true expertise when we needed it. He is an expert in what he does, but is also authentic, responsive and extremely detailed." — Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023.
"Peter Fernando is the best IT Lawyer I have worked with. His skill in legal negotiations with suppliers is exceptional. Always finding the common ground or options to reach agreement." — Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023.