I help clients navigate unexpected major events and crises including workplace incidents, regulatory investigations and prosecutions, employment disputes, professional complaints and discipline.
I am recognised as a 'Next Generation Partner' by the Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023 legal directory for my work in labour and employment, and am listed as a recommended lawyer for dispute resolution. Clients describe me as "calm under pressure, and handles complex cases". I was also recognised as a rising star by NZ Lawyer 2021.
I provide strategic support to ensure clients can act decisively to minimise the potential adverse impacts on their business or organisation whilst preserving the reputation, integrity and relationships of all interested parties.
I act for clients in a range of sectors including public, corporate, small business, insurance, and not for profit in industries including agriculture, construction, education, health, forestry, hospitality, manufacturing, and transportation.
My specialist expertise includes:
- Complex workplace incident response
- Regulatory investigations and prosecutions
- Professional complaints and discipline
- Coronial inquires and inquests
- Employment advisory and disputes
- Workplace investigations and cultural reviews
- Health and safety risk management
- Successfully defending a quarry operator in a WorkSafe NZ prosecution by obtaining a rare dismissal of the charges with no case to answer.
- Successfully defending a registered plumber facing a disciplinary charge before the Plumbers Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board.
- Acting for a bus driver in a WorkSafe NZ and Coronial Inquiry into the death of an 11 year old girl that was killed in a bus crash on Mt Ruapehu and that injured 30 others.
- Acting for the second-largest gas and largest electricity distributor in New Zealand in respect of a gas explosion that harmed several people where no charges were laid.
- Acting for a school board of trustees in a WorkSafe investigation into an incident where an 11-year-old student shattered three cervical vertebrae, and is a tetraplegic, after diving into the school’s swimming pool where no charges were laid.
- Acting for a number of agricultural, construction, forestry and transport operators in respect of WorkSafe NZ investigations and prosecutions involving fatalities and serious harm.
- Acting for individuals and organisations in coronial inquires and inquests into suspected suicides.
- Providing advice on health and safety obligations and management of COVID-19 in respect of athletes undertaking international travel for training, Olympic qualifying events and the Olympics Games in Tokyo.
- Providing advice to an association on an independent inquiry into multiple complaints of bullying, sexual harassment, and sexual assault including dealing with multiple media requests and coverage.
- Providing advice and representation to social workers and other health professionals facing professional conduct complaints, investigations and disciplinary charges before their respective disciplinary bodies and the Health and Disability Commissioner.
I regularly provide media commentary, and enjoy providing seminars, training and workshops for boards, senior leadership and management.