“Technically astute and commercially very savvy”, praised for strategies and assistance that “give clients confidence” (Legal 500 Asia Pacific).
I love my work. I am fortunate to maintain an interesting and diverse practice that spans a broad range of industries and market sectors – including advertising and marketing, aged care, agriculture, automotive, banking and financial services, competition and antitrust, construction, e-commerce, education, energy, entertainment, fashion, FMCG, food and beverage, health, horticulture, insurance, manufacturing, pharmaceutical, publishing, retail, and technology. This wide-ranging knowledge allows me to excel in advising clients on their complex and business critical projects.
A common thread across this rich tapestry is that I help clients to find solutions to challenges that lay at the intersection between business, legal, commercial and other considerations. I believe clients achieve greater outcomes from seeking truly specialised input at the beginning of any project.
After 20 years practising law and leading teams in Australia and New Zealand, I am privileged to be recognised as a market leader in technology law and intellectual property (IP). I am:
- Accredited by the world's leading practical qualification provider, in the European General Data Protection Regulation, (GDPR).
- Ranked as a ‘Leading Individual’ in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023 for both Intellectual property and TMT.
- "He strikes a good balance between detail and commercial pragmatism." Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021
- "Clients enthuse: 'He has a very good understanding of the technology industry. He is very responsive... and the quality of the work he produces is of a high standard. He is a strong negotiator'." Noted for "'pragmatic and commercially astute advice – and fast turnaround' and praised for 'giving clients confidence and reassurance'.
- Ranked in Chambers and Partners 2023 for both Intellectual property and TMT.
- Recognised in the World Trademark Review 1000 2022 as a recommended individual for transactions.
- "Moyes is a passionate IP rights protector with cultivated IP monetisation skills and richly diverse sector expertise. He understands the business side of intellectual property, which informs his approach to problem solving."
- Recognised in The Best Lawyers of New Zealand 2024 list for Intellectual Property and Technology Law.
- Winner of the Mid-Size Deal of the Year at the NZ Law Awards – recognising legal support on a complex transaction for the sale of a New Zealand technology business.
- Recognised in the NZ Lawyer magazine's 'Hot List' as one of the country's top thirty lawyers – recognising those lawyers who have made a significant contribution through innovation, leadership, community contributions or playing a key role in some of the country's most significant cases or deals.
I work collaboratively with other specialists within the firm to provide a cohesive, flexible and responsive service to clients so that they may navigate their particular challenges with confidence.
Recent examples have included:
- Working with Northland Regional Council on their implementation of cloud-based enterprise software Infor, a significant digital project responding to changes in legislation that increased the council’s obligations around environmental work, information management, health and safety and data management
- Designing and delivering the support for IT projects and system implementation for business transformation
- Advising on all aspects of the creation of joint ventures for the benefit of technology products and services crucial to New Zealand’s economy
- Streamlining complex projects and ensuring contracts are fit-for-purpose
- Assisting with major transformation projects which involve brand strategy, intellectual property, privacy and data protection, commercial agreements, advertising and technology considerations
- Assisting with all legal matters to launch a business, including brand protection, privacy policies and compliance, App user terms, and development contracts
In my spare time, I enjoy supporting a number of charities and maintaining governance roles where my particular knowledge or experience provides value.
I am a member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ), the International Trademark Association (INTA) and the Project Management Institute of New Zealand (PMINZ).