“Technically astute and commercially very savvy”, praised for strategies and assistance that “give clients confidence” (Legal 500 Asia Pacific).
I love my work. I am fortunate to maintain an interesting and diverse practice that spans a broad range of industries and market sectors – including advertising and marketing, aged care, agriculture, automotive, banking and financial services, construction, e-commerce, education, energy, entertainment, fashion, FMCG, food and beverage, health, horticulture, insurance, manufacturing, pharmaceutical, publishing, retail, and technology.
A common thread across this rich tapestry is that I help clients to find solutions to challenges that lay at the intersection between business, legal, commercial and other considerations.
I believe clients achieve greater outcomes from seeking truly specialised input.
After 20 years practising law and leading teams in Australia and New Zealand, I am privileged to be recognised as a market leader in technology law and intellectual property (IP). I am:
- Accredited by the world's leading practical qualification provider, in the European General Data Protection Regulation, (GDPR).
- Ranked as a ‘Leading Individual’ (the highest rank) in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
“Technically astute and commercially very savvy”, praised for strategies and assistance that “give clients confidence”.
- Ranked in the Chambers and Partners Directory.
"Clients enthuse: 'He has a very good understanding of the technology industry. He is very responsive... and the quality of the work he produces is of a high standard. He is a strong negotiator'." Noted for 'pragmatic and commercially astute advice – and fast turnaround' and praised for 'giving clients confidence and reassurance'.
- Winner of the Mid-Size Deal of the Year at the NZ Law Awards – recognising legal support on a complex transaction for the sale of a New Zealand technology business.
- Recognised in the NZ Lawyer magazine's 'Hot List' as one of the country's top thirty lawyers – recognising those lawyers who have made a significant contribution through innovation, leadership, community contributions or playing a key role in some of the country's most significant cases or deals.
I work collaboratively with other specialists within the firm to provide a cohesive, flexible and responsive service to clients so that they may navigate their particular challenges with confidence.
In my spare time, I enjoy supporting a number of charities and maintaining governance roles where my particular knowledge or experience provides value.
I am a member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ), the International Trademark Association (INTA) and the Project Management Institute of New Zealand (PMINZ).