I specialise in litigation and dispute resolution, with a particular focus on insurance litigation, and regulatory/criminal matters. I like to help clients out of tight spots, whether they are facing investigation by regulators, professional disciplinary complaints, or professional liability claims.
I have experience in a number of areas of insurance law, acting for both insurers and insured parties. I have particular experience in relation to professional indemnity, professional discipline, statutory liability, and material damage arising out of earthquake damage. I have been recognised as a recommended lawyer by the Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023 directory for my insurance work. I also have an interest in insolvency law and have acted for a number of liquidators.
Some of my recent work includes:
- Defending an ongoing High Court litigation claiming $7m for alleged negligence.
- Successfully defending an application by the Environmental Protection Agency to extend time for charging.
- Successfully defending a Resource Management Act prosecution where the Council’s charges were dismissed, and it was ordered to pay costs.
- Acting for insurers on a number of WorkSafe investigations/prosecutions including a fatality.
- Acting on a chemical spill into a creek, where the insured was prosecuted.
- Acting for a New Zealand insurance business to resolve some of the last Christchurch earthquake claims.
- Acting on recovery proceedings ranging from building flooding to forestry damage.
I am an experienced Court lawyer, having been a Crown Prosecutor for over seven years before I joined Duncan Cotterill. I have prosecuted numerous jury trials in the District and High Courts on charges ranging from fraud to murder. I have defended many clients on criminal and regulatory charges.